11/29/2009

The Hand Burger: Messy when you use hands!



Some time back, I was told of this new burger joint at Raffles City basement serving good burgers in a hip environment, so off I went for a weekend dinner visit!




Brightly lighted with mirror walls, the place gave a clean look and seemingly bigger than it actually was. The only gripe I had was though I knew they were trying to allow more walking space by having pushed-in seats, the cubic design with little back-rest was rather uncomfortable with the "rushing you to leave" feeling.

The menu itself was uniquely designed with a interesting mix of items. They even had a chef's special serving duck leg confit burger! Waitresses were also pleasent in taking orders, attentive enough to serve water while refilling them promptly.


Battered Onion Rings ($4.80)

Served hot and crispy, it was quite good to nibble on with the tartar and bbq sauces. But I realised that one ring had only one miserable slice coated with the thick batter. Would be better if they actually put more onion inside.



Chilled Coleslaw in Tomato, Skinned-On Fries

Our main orders came with choices of the two sides, so we tried one of each. The tomoto was quite a novelty, served chilled in a tingy sour sauce and would perhaps be good for people who wants something refreshing to go with their burger. But for me, the thick-cut fries was great, extra points for the skin and light dosage of salt.


Beer-battered Dory Burger with Egg ($15.80)

Okay can anyone please tell me, how well must a beer-battered fish taste to be really counted as beer-battered? Because everytime we order something that says so, I could hardly taste the beer within! But that aside, the dory was thick and succulent served in two large pieces. My girlfriend is a lover for runny egg and fish, so this combo kept her rather happy!


The Works Burger ($16.80)

I guess this is one of the taller burger they could offer! Bacon, sauteed mushrooms, onion rings, sunny side-up, veggies, and one thick beef patty with melted cheese. Shiok! They also had this sweet tasting jam within that went really well with the rest of the savoury stuffs.

I forgot to mention that all their buns were specially made and toasted with a soft and fluffy interior. But I had to pick on their beef patty which was disappointly dry and lack of flavour. Somehow I enjoyed the other toppings more than the main offering. It would be really good if they could make it more beefy and juicy!

Bill for two was $44.02 after taxes. Not too bad considering the restaurant setting, generous portions and warm service. I saw a few other tempting choices (Parmesan Prawncake!)on the menu that would perhaps make me return, but maybe not soon with so many other burger places out there to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment